Fuel Oil Security
Fuel Oil Tank Security
Following recent oil thefts across Suffolk officers are reminding residents to consider their oil tank security to avoid having valuable heating oil stolen.
People are reminded that a few simple steps can help to make your tank and fuel more difficult for thieves to target:
• Screen your tank with fencing or hedges
• Close and secure any gates leading to the tank
• Conceal or cover any external pipes and fuel lines
• Install dusk to dawn security lighting.
• CCTV is also a good deterrent
• Install lockable caps with a closed shackle padlock
• Consider installing a tank alarm
• Join a Neighbourhood Watch scheme
It should be noted that some oil storage containers are plastic and some are metal, so any security measures which directly affect the tank or pipe work should always be installed in consultation with the tank supplier.
Regularly check the level of your fuel tanks. During cold weather your consumption of oil may be higher than you think, which could lead you to think that someone has been draining your tank.
Keep an eye on neighbourhood properties. Large quantities of oil are often stolen, which means the thieves will need sizable containers to collect oil in and a van or larger vehicle to take it away. If you see any suspicious person or vehicle in your road or a neighbour’s driveway, contact the police immediately by dialling 999.
Further information on oil tank security can be found on our website www.suffolk.police.uk or by calling your local Crime Reduction Officer on 101.